The inauguration ceremony of the newly elected President of the Republic of Uzbekistan took place in Tashkent.
Last Saturday, Shavkat Mirziyoyev solemnly assumed the office of the President of Uzbekistan at a joint meeting of the chambers of the Oliy Majlis in the capital of Uzbekistan, the press office of the President of Uzbekistan reported.
On October 24, Shavkat Mirziyoyev won a landslide victory in the presidential elections, having gained 80.12 % of the vote.
Opening the meeting, Chairman of the Central Election Commission Z. Nizamkhojaev presented the Uzbek leader with a certificate of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan and congratulated him on assuming the office.
Shavkat Mirziyoyev addressed those present with a speech, outlining the priority areas of development for the next five years. The Development Plan “From the Action Strategy to the Development Strategy” comprises seven areas:
- building a people’s state through transferring some of state functions from the centre to the regions, transforming and optimizing some departments and modernizing the system of financing regional budgets;
- upholding justice and consolidating the rule of law. Measures will be taken to improve the judicial and legal systems, strengthen the protection of the rights of owners and entrepreneurs;
- developing the national economy. According to plans, Uzbekistan should have enter the list of upper-middle-income countries by 2030 by encouraging private entrepreneurship and attracting investment. The tasks of improving the standards of living of the people include providing the population with housing and high-quality drinking water and building new roads;
- developing the education and health sector. It is planned to raise the salaries of education and health workers up to US$1,000, introduce a public health insurance system, build new schools and improve material and technical resources of the existing ones by 2025;
- taking measures to promote culture and art, bring up young people and boost interethnic cultural interaction in accordance with the concept “New Uzbekistan – an enlightened state”;
- seeking solutions to global challenges, particularly environmental challenges;
- ensuring peace and security in the country, enhancing the strength of the national army.
In conclusion, Shavkat Mirziyoyev said:
- As President, I see the meaning of my life in serving our people faithfully, fully devoting myself to ensuring the peace and well-being of my homeland and its development. For me there is no other, higher goal and greater happiness.